Accessible Page Links


Page Tools

Main page Content

History

Kenmore State High School opened its doors in 1972. The school was founded in 1972 with the first group of students graduating in 1976. School grew steadily until the 1990s, then growth accelerated peaking in 1996 at 1455 students. The opening of a new school in the Centenary suburbs caused enrolments to drop to 1120 by 2001 but number have increased rapidly since then.

The school's logo was developed with the following features:

  • The Munich Emblem is a reminder of the school's foundation year - the year of the Munich Olympics.
  • The Book symbolises learning.
  • The Castle reminds of Kenmore Castle in Scotland the home of some of the original settlers of Kenmore.
  • The Trees are a symbol of the environmental focus of the school.
  • The Birds also reflect the environmental focus.

 

The school has eight sporting houses. Their origins are:

  • Bimbi - taken from the Aboriginal phrase "Bim Bim Bi" meaning "Place of many birds".
  • Carrawah - taken from the Aboriginal language of the district meaning "Plenty of birds come to rest here".
  • Tarcoola - taken from the Aboriginal language of the district meaning "A river bend".
  • Wyuna - taken from the Aboriginal language of the district meaning "Clear water".
  • Allunga - taken from the Aboriginal language of the distric meaning "Beautiful place".
  • Jarrah - taken from the Aboriginal language of the distric meaning "Eucalyptus tree".
  • Kinta - taken from the Aboriginal language of the distric meaning "Laughter".
  • Alkira - taken from the Aboriginal language of the distric meaning "The sky".