Our Junior Secondary school consists of a core program for year 7, 8 and 9 students. By the end of year 9 students have studied a balanced program covering all the key areas of the curriculum and they have had the opportunity to specialise in up to three different areas of interest.
The middle school curriculum is characterised by a rigorous and well linked program that ensures students study the basics, apply this knowledge to real situations and are challenged to integrate their learnings across disciplines in complex activities.
Our curriculum incorporates:
- access for all students to state-of-the-art technology embedded across the curriculum or the Information Communication Education (ICE) (laptop)program
- unique experiences for students in the Arts (Music, Music Extension, Drama, film and Television, Art and Printing and Graphic Art)
- access to a German Immersion and Extension Program as part of a strong focus on languages and cultures
- learning support and articulated programs for students with special needs
- access to well-resourced library with internet facilities
- relevant responsive life skills and values education
- career guidance and counselling support
- a disciplined environment
- a highly valued work education/work experience programme
- strong links with Universities, TAFE Institutes and Industry
- Interschool sport
- and achieves world class student outcomes.
Junior Secondary curriculum handbook (PDF, 427KB) provides a guide to the subject offerings across our middle school years.
For detailed information about the core subjects in year 7, see the following guides that were presented at the Year 7 teacher and learning evening:
Extra curricular activities
There are a wealth of
extra curricular activities available to Junior secondary students (PDF, 343KB).
More information about enrolling in the Junior years can be found on the
Should you have any further queries related to middle schooling at Kenmore State High, please feel free to contact our Head of Junior secondary - Angela Malone.