Welcome to the Kenmore State High School International Student Program. My name is Kim Lawrence and I am the Homestay Coordinator.
Homestay is what I consider to be the most important component contributing to the success of an international student’s study program. At times, international students may encounter problems academically, socially or culturally; but with the understanding, patience, kindness and care provided by a supportive homestay family, our international students can achieve academic success and take home some wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.
The homestay program at Kenmore SHS is governed by Education Queensland International (EQI). To ensure welfare responsibilities are met and maintained, EQI has developed policy and procedures by which the school, student and homestay provider must abide.
Homestay providers receive a fortnightly allowance to provide homestay accommodation and access to home facilities as listed below:
- Provide a clean and tidy home close to school and to public transport service
- Provide a safe and secure private bedroom with suitable storage space
- Provide suitable facilities for study, including a desk, chair and adequate lighting
- Allow access to kitchen, bathroom and laundry facilities
- Allow access to household items, such as towels, sheets, blankets and eating/cooking utensils
- Provide the student/s with a house key or access to alarm codes
- Provide three healthy and sustaining meals a day including access to snacks
- Provide access to television, telephone and internet facilities (negotiated) and
- Maintain suitable supervision of the student/s in their care.
Blue card requirements for homestay providers
Homestay providers are considered to be “engaged in regulated employment”, as a volunteer, for the purposes of the Working with Children (Risk Management and Screening) Act 2000 ('the WWC Act').
Each adult residing in a homestay home is taken to be a volunteer engaged in regulated employment, and must either hold a current Blue Card or positive Exemption Card (Queensland teachers and police officers only) before a student can be placed in the homestay home.
If a homestay applicant does not hold a current Blue Card, our authorised school staff will submit an application to Blue Card Services using the blue card application form. The homestay provider application can only be approved if a positive notice (Blue Card) is issued.
If a homestay provider applicant already holds a current Blue Card through an organisation other than Kenmore SHS, our authorised school staff will submit the Link an applicant/cardholder to this organisation form to Blue Card services. Once this notification has been made, the WWC Act requirements have been met unless Blue Card Services informs the school otherwise.
Apply to become an EQI registered homestay provider
If you would like to apply to become an EQI registered homestay provider with Kenmore SHS, or if you would simply like some more information about what is involved in homestay provision, please contact Kim Lawrence (email@example.com or call 3327 1546)
CRICOS Provider Name: The Queensland Department of Education
Trading Name: Education Queensland International
CRICOS Code 00608A