Before acquiring a device to use at school the parent or caregiver and student should be aware of the school’s specification of appropriate device type, operating system requirements and software. These specifications relate to the suitability of the device to enabling class activities, meeting student needs and promoting safe and secure access to the department’s network.
Consideration should be given to:
- device performance
- storage capacity
wireless connectivity - 5GHz capable
- device weight
- screen size
- robust design / Carry case
- battery life
- insurance / accidental damage protection
- operating system - Windows 10 or macOS.
Consider: An old device that you wouldn't want to use, won't be suitable for your child's learning.
Breakdown of BYOD service guarantee fee
- BYOD – Concierge style Wi-Fi device connection subscription fees
- Infrastructure requirements to support BYOD
- Software license fees especially designed for BYOD (e.g. Adobe Creative Cloud)
- Technical support to connect to the school Wi-Fi and printers, and license Adobe software
- Basic diagnosis of device software/hardware issues and recommendation of course of action (e.g. warranty claim, uninstallation of software, etc.).
BYODv2 Connection Process
The following PowerPoints step you through the 'onboarding' process for the BYODv2 network at Kenmore SHS.
Software links for BYOD students
Below are links to software downloads available to state school students and students who have registered through the Kenmore SHS BYOD program.
|Microsoft Windows 10|
Some new laptops purchased in stores come with a version of Windows called
Windows 10S. Windows 10S will not work on the school network.
Queensland Education students are eligible for a free copy of Windows 10 Education. Students need to register with your school email address via
this link. You can then download a copy of Windows 10 Education that can be installed onto your personal computer.
Install the Microsoft Office package on your personal computer.|
Read how (PDF, 344KB) to install on a home computer.
Read how (PDF, 892KB) to install on a MAC.